Laura Fiffick has over 25 years of experience in improving safety, health, and environmental (SHE) performance across organizations as an internal lead and external consultant. She has extensive experience in the design and implementation of leading SHE programs focused on leadership, culture change, and continuous improvement.
- Over the course of her career, Laura has led internal SHE teams ranging from 7 to 24 staff members. Example program accomplishments include the following:
- Led an initiative to change culture at a bulk materials handling plant following a fatality. Major elements included a culture assessment, integration of safety, environmental, and quality management systems, engagement of facility staff, compliance program development, and staffing an onsite safety professional. Experienced a TRIR reduction from 12.45 to 0 in three years.
- Designed and implemented a five year strategic plan to increase engagement and leadership of the internal team with operational staff. In three years, agency penalties decreased by 95%, internal audit findings decreased by 45%, and a 10% increase in compliance obligations managed per staff member was experienced.
- Built the first corporate safety program and hired associated staff. Initiated a safety team, a job hazard analysis program, standardized safety procedures and training, and integrated safety into existing environmental audits and inspections. Significantly reduced serious injury and fatality risks at a major facility.
- Served as the lead for the National Safety Council’s Campbell Institute, a non-profit organization collaborating with corporations across the globe seeking to create high-performing workplaces and workforces through leadership in SHE. In this role, Laura conducted Campbell Award integrated management systems audits, an award recognizing organizations that lead in operational excellence through SHE.
- Laura is a sought after expert on integrated management systems designed in concert with executive management and staff to achieve corporate EHS goals. She has served on two ISO Standard Committees as part of the US Technical Advisory Groups (ISO 45001 Standard Committee – Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO 50001 – Energy Management Systems). She has also served as a Responsible Care Coordinator and successfully achieved recertification for a corporation with no conformances, with the organization being ranked as the top industry performer.
- Laura has led and participated in research to advance SHE challenges including leading indicators, behavior based safety programs, serious injuries and fatalities, off the job safety, integrated management systems, advanced air emission reduction technology, and green infrastructure.
- Laura holds a bachelor’s degree in Geology from Texas A&M University and a master’s degree from the University of Houston in Safety. She is a Certified Safety Professional and a Registered Environmental Manager.