José Albano de Carvalho
With nearly 40 years of EHS and manufacturing experience, Albano brings his expertise in improving culture, implementing processes, developing risk management systems, leading teams, and managing complex projects for a multinational organization.
From September 1984 to August 2007, Albano worked for 3M Brazil in industrial and process engineering and as a leader in production and quality. His most notable successes in this area include:
- As the Production Supervisor, Albano implemented a recruitment process for new employees in production with the direct participation of his team of operators in the selection of candidates. Due to the results and his leadership, Albano became the Process and Quality Manager for four different production areas within manufacturing. During this time, he was responsible for leading and implementing the first fully automatic machinery in decorative strip manufacturing, which exceeded the expectations of the initial project.
- During Six Sigma methodology implementation at 3M, Albano was assigned to be the first Black Belt (BB) at the Ribeirão Preto site, leading and implementing this process at all levels. Albano then returned as Manufacturing Manager, leading a $7.5 million project including two business units at Ribeirão Preto.
From September 2007 to July 2022, Albano led EHS at two of 3M’s plants in Brazil and went on to lead EHS for all of 3M Latin America. His most notable successes in this area include:
- For five years as an EHS Manager, Albano was responsible for two 3M sites in Brazil where he implemented BBS. In addition, he led projects to improve EHS culture and knowledge for all employees and leadership.
- In August 2012, Albano assumed the position of the EHS Latin America Leader, working directly with 10 manufacturing sites and 17 distribution centers. In this position for ten years, he was part of the EHS Leadership Committee for 3M worldwide where he was responsible for all EHS Audits Planning in Latin America.
- Albano was also part of the international team created to develop a global EHS incident management system with data collection features for risk assessment. As part of this process, the 7 Insights into Safety Leadership was used as a guide for several stages of the project, engaging the entire leadership of 3M’s factories.
Albano holds degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the Universidade Federal de Uberlândia, Safety Engineering from Universidade Moura Lacerda, and obtained a post graduate degree in Business Administration, Knowledge Management, and Environmental Management. He is fluent in Portuguese (mother language), English, and Spanish.